Thursday, February 5, 2015

Vendors - coming from somewhere

Provincial life is convenient more than I thought. If a person is really lazy to go out, s/he just stay in the house. Then, vendors are coming to your house to sell different items. You may not need to go out often to buy something necessary for your life.

In the morning, first vendor is a bakery. Around 6 o'clock, they go around our street by beeping their special horn. Because of this sound, we know they are here. Some of vendors come by bicycle, some come by motorbike. They sell mainly bread for breakfast such as pandesal and pan Legaspi. Each vendor bring different shapes, size and price of bread. It is nice that these bread is newly baked in the morning. Vendor usually says it is still hot.  

After baker, next vendor is selling drinking water. In Manila and other places, I go to water station with my water container and order one container of water. Then, a shop delivers it. Here they are coming almost everyday. 
But time they come is not fixed, which is problematic for me. So, sometimes  I wait so long before I go somewhere.
It was my first time to see them when I started to live in the province. Their truck with water tank remind  me a car with vacuum device for a pit latrine. (my old house in Japan has this, so truck with vacuum regularly came to our house.) By the way, this water comes from the mountain. 

Taho vendor also roams around in the morning. Taho is soft tofu with sago pearl  and sweet brownish source, which can be a snack either breakfast. Taho vendor usually shouts like "Tahooo... taho ". They pronounce first syllable "Ta" stronger and other parts weaker and longer. It 's like this ... TA hoooo. And in the second, they pronounce it very short, like taho. Resident of course,recognize it. 

During the morning, aside from taho vendor, I sometimes see vendor of banana cue, arroyo (colored rice cake), fish vendor and so on. 

Another vendor shouts what they sell. Siraaaa, sira...I was wondering they are selling something torn or defective? Because these-torn and defective- are meaning of word, sira in Tagalog. 

But they sell fish! Sira in Bicol is fish...it is same spelling of sira in Tagalog. Hummmm...
Anyway, I do not need to go to market to buy "sira" because they come to our place. 


I see furniture and broom stick vendors too. But I do not see them as often as in Manila. I think that people here hire a carpenter to make own furniture or people buy more cheaper one. So selling the furniture cannot be profitable. And vendor might be discouraged to walk around long way to reach few houses in my place with heavy items. 



After lunch, ice cream vendors come.  Sometime, dried fish vendors also come. Some other vendors such as fish vendors might come back again.

After dinner, balut vendors starts walking around. Balut is a developing duck embryo, which is believe to be good for nutritional fortification and pregnant women. I do not voluntarily eat this. 



Big city like Metro Manila has also vendors roam around your vicinity.  But it is not seen as often and regularly as province.



Whole day, these vendors are everywhere in the street.  When I work in the house, I sense time.





No comments:

Post a Comment